By Lisa Artis on March 14, 2017
***The competition has now closed***
When we spring forward to British Summertime (Sunday March 26), most of us are glad to see the back of winter – however we’re not glad to lose an hour of sleep – especially parents with small children.
In fact, it can be hard to adjust to the time change as it affects their body clocks and their sleep – and although it is only an hour, it can take weeks for some children to get back into their routine and feel normal again.
The following tips will help your child adapt:
• Try altering bedtime by just half an hour on the first evening, eg Saturday evening – so it’s half an hour earlier than usual. Then adjust bedtime by another half hour on Sunday evening – so you’re working to the ‘new time’.
• If you’re altering bedtime, naps and mealtimes will need to fall in line too. Make them slightly earlier to suit your new routine.
• Light plays an important part in controlling our internal body clocks. Try spending a little extra time outside during the day for a boost of fresh air and natural light. If your baby is struggling to wake up in the morning, make sure the room gets lots of natural light.
• Using black out blinds or dense curtains helps create a darker, nighttime environment at an earlier time.
• Do a bit of extra exercise with your baby – like playing games outside – so she’ll sleep well, but don’t totally wear her out as over-tired children are harder to get to sleep.
• Ensure the bedroom environment is good for sleep – cool, quiet and dark with a bed that is comfortable and supportive.
That’s why we’ve teamed up with Golden Bear to offer four prizes from its new Sleep Tight All Night range of sleep aid companions. Available as a Puppy, Teddy and Unicorn as well as Igglepiggle from the In the Night Garden TV show, they have been specially designed to help teach children when to sleep and when it’s time to get up.
With a range of soothing sounds and a glowing light this soft huggable toy provides comfort and reassurance to little ones at bedtime with just a squeeze of the tummy. For more information and how it works click here.
There are TWO Unicorns and TWO Igglepiggles up for grabs and all you have to do to enter is FOLLOW both Sleep Council and Golden Bear on Twitter and RETWEET the competition post. Alternatively LIKE both Sleep Council and Golden Bear on Facebook. Then SHARE and COMMENT on the competition post.
The competition closes at 3pm on Wednesday 22nd March. Winners will be announced on The Sleep Council’s Twitter and Facebook pages by 5pm.
To enter you must be a UK resident over the age of 18
No purchase is necessary for entry to this free prize draw.
Entry is limited to one per person and exclusively via Twitter and Facebook.
This draw is not open to employees, partners and associated agents of The Sleep Council or anyone concerned with this promotion or to members of any of our sponsors’ products. Bulk entries made from trade, consumer groups or third parties will not be accepted.
Sorry, no cash alternative will be offered and the prize is non-transferable.
The closing date is 1pm on 22/3/2017. The winners will be drawn at random.
The competition winners will be notified by 5pm on 22/3/2017. If the Promoter is not able to get in contact with the winner within 14 days, the prize will be forfeited and an alternative winner will be drawn. It is the winner’s responsibility to notify the Promoter of any change in contact information.
The winner may not use the prize in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or prize draw.
The prize is subject to availability and the Promoter reserves the right to change the prize to an alternative of similar value without notice if circumstances beyond their control require it to do so.
The Promoter reserves the right to reject fraudulent entries.
Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Responsibility cannot be accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed due to technical problems.
The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any technical issues, system or software failures encountered during entry into the promotion.
The Sleep Council will not be liable for loss or damage whatsoever caused by matters arising from this promotion.
The winners will be asked permission for their names and county to be posted on social media.
The entry instructions form part of the Terms & Conditions. By entering, entrants agree to accept and be bound by the Terms & Conditions. Entrants must read and accept the competition Terms & Conditions to be eligible. The Promoter reserves the right to change the Terms & Conditions.
By entering the competition, you are agreeing to send your details to The Sleep Council and Golden Bear Toys, and your details may be used by them for direct marketing purposes. Unless you have provided consent, the Promoters will not provide your details to any third parties. You may unsubscribe at any time from the Promoter’s direct marketing by contacting the relevant company by e-mail, telephone, post or by using unsubscribe links within their e-mails.
The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.